Sunday 28 July 2013

Leek, Bacon & Sweet Potato Impossible Pie!

Today I feel like so many mum bloggers who wait till the child has a nap so they can sit down and finally bang out that post that's been floating around in their heads! Except my little one is on her third nap for they day and on a Monday I'm usually at the shop and she's usually in childcare and daytime naps have been long gone. It breaks your heart when your little one is sick doesn't it. 

So the first nap I raced to the laptop and did a quick Oishi-m order for their latest Spring 13 release. So exciting and I'll share more of that later. The second time she fell asleep on my lap while I was talking to my Mum (so good to have a Mum who lives close by when your child is sick) and now this afternoon I left the room for a minute to do some washing and came back to find her asleep on the floor. Poor wee pet. 

So as promised...while I have the chance....I'm sharing our Sunday night easy peasy pie dish and I can tell you it tastes great the next day too. 

Recipe adapted from a Donna Hay Recipe. 

2 tbl Olive Oil
1 Leek trimmed and sliced
1 Sweet Potato peeled and cut into 1cm cubes
250g short cut bacon
1 clove garlic
3 eggs
1/2 cup self raising flour
1 1/2 Milk
1 cup grated cheddar cheese
Sea Salt and ground black pepper to taste

Pre-heat oven to 200'C. Brush 24cm pie dish with oil. 
On a tray toss cubed sweet potato in 1 tbl of Olive Oil and place in oven for approximately 20 minutes or until slightly browned and tender. Put aside to cool. 

In a pan saute leek, garlic and bacon until tender and cooked. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and set aside. 

In a bowl whisk the eggs, flour and milk until smooth and well combined. 

Place leek & bacon mixture in the greased pie dish, sprinkle roasted sweet potato evenly on top, then sprinkle cheddar cheese. Pour over the milk, egg and flour mixture and cover loosely with aluminium foil. 

Place dish in the oven for 45 minutes, then remove the foil and continue to cook for a further 15 minutes. The foil stops the top of your pie from burning. 

Serve with a fresh garden salad. 

My fussy 3 year old loves bacon and eggs so this dish is well received in our house. You could omit the bacon and add any combination of vegetables and it's a great way to get the kids to eat them. 

What's cooking at your house? If you'd like to share some family friendly recipes email them to miriam@petitarmoir.com.au and I'll post them on the blog. 

Happy Monday! xo

No comments:

Post a Comment